JET, the UK forecourt brand of US oil giant, Phillips 66 sells fuel via its 350 independently owned sites and needed to re-energise its brand and connect with dealers and fuel consumers.
The market was changing with increased competition from new fuel suppliers and shifts in consumer purchasing behavior. With perceptions that the JET brand was ‘tired’ and that Phillips 66 was no longer committed to retail, site owners (dealers) were moving to other suppliers. JET needed to:
- Increase positive awareness of the brand
- Reduce churn within its (then) 300 dealers
- Generate new interest among the UK’s 4000 independent fuel sites
- Improve JET’s consumer marketing to drive footfall, loyalty and fuel sales
What we did
SHC immersed itself in JET’s business and market, conducting a full review of marketing, consumer and dealer strategies with input from over 30 internal stakeholders. Having delivered a marketing strategy with a measurable year 1 action plan we developed a proposition messaging ‘bible’ (used as the foundation for all internal and external communication) and helped develop and deliver consumer programmes around:
- Innovation of forecourt promotions
- Introduction of social media strategy
- Building JET consumer loyalty through communications (and a 90,000 strong database)
- Delivery of marketing in a box programme (first in the forecourt sector to deliver local best-fit promotions)
…and business to business activities
- Sales team and strategy support delivering the first complete set of sales tools and collateral comprising an interactive sales playbook, corporate brochure, customer testimonials, and service, product and regional collateral
- A five-year lifecycle prospecting strategy (for acquisition of new dealers)
- Monthly dealer communications programme
JET’s dealer brand perception has improved and site numbers have grown by over 10%. JET has become a regular contributor to the media with an eight-fold increase in editorial coverage in the last 3 years (more than 170 articles in 2015) and 9 winning trade award entries in 2014 alone.
The new approach to promotions has yielded a 5% increase in fuel volumes, helped differentiate JET’s loyalty approach and increased dealer satisfaction – now 70%.
The introduction of a Facebook strategy has driven consumer brand awareness with a goal of 1.5 million consumer engagements this year.
We constantly challenge the JET team and truly understand their business and are now considered a valuable part of their virtual marketing and brand team.